Reading list to date
I started this trip with a few other travelers right after the Uprising in Baltimore. Here are the books and articles we've read together between then and now:
1. Irving, Debby, Waking Up White: And Finding Myself in the Story of Race.
2. Alexander, Michelle, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
3. Coates, Ta-Nehisi, Between the World and Me,
4. Coates, Ta-Nehisi, "The Case for Reparations" in The Atlantic
6. MacGillis, Alec, "The Third Rail" in Places (for July)
7. Desmond, Matthew, Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City.
8. McIntosh, Peggy, Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack (pdf)
9. U.S. Department of Justice, Investigation of the Baltimore City Police Department.
11. State of the Science: Implicit Bias Review (pdf) from Kirwan Institute.
Stay tuned for a blog post on each selection that explains why I chose it and some of what I learned from it.